Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Change Your Bedtime Routine


Change Your Bedtime Routine

I've reached that age where it's not only harder to fall asleep, but also harder to stay asleep. After many sleepless nights I decided it was time to do something about this unpleasant circumstance. 

I had read that establishing a bedtime routine could help alleviate this problem. Up until now I had been pretty willy nilly about my bedtime habits. Although, I usually went to bed about the same time, I had apparently acquired a lot of non-sleep inducing habits. 

I'd still be finishing my glass of tea long after dinner, I'd be on my i pad up until my head hit the pillow. If it wasn't the i pad, it was the television. None of these contribute to good sleep. 

What I'm learning is that electronics can really interfere with your ability to sleep.  Of course, caffeine is a given, and I'm not sure who I was kidding. 

Today I've including the following steps, and they do seem to be helping:
No electronics one hour prior to going to bed-I've been reading instead
Having water instead of tea at dinner time
A glass of herbal tea designed to aid in relaxation about thirty minutes before bedtime
Diffusing lavender 
Playing relaxing music as I get ready for bed, and as I start to drift off to sleep 
Having a very comfortable My Pillow

All of these things seem to be contributing to a better night's sleep. Along with the annoyance of not being able to sleep, being sleep deprived can effect your overall health. As easy as it was to just plop into bed, I'm finding its worth the change to establish and maintain a bedtime routine. 

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep."

W.C. Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment