Friday, October 13, 2017

Change Your Attitude


Change your attitude. 

This is such a powerful tool at our disposal, and yet it is often something we refuse to use.  When we find ourselves unhappy or discontent many times it's just easier to remain in that state. We may even recruit others to join us as we've always been told, "Misery loves company."

For me I have found myself at different points of my life harboring a bad attitude. It seems to become all encompassing, and my tendency to obsess comes into play. But, what I've learned over the years is that just by changing my attitude it can completely turn things around. 

We seem to become what we dwell on. If I spend my time always looking for the negative in the world, then I'm probably going to find it. If I allow myself to become overwhelmed by a task thinking there is no good way to accomplish it, I will probably be correct. However, if I choose to live with the attitude of looking more for the good than the bad, I'll probably handle the bad much better. 

A revolutionary tool that has helped me over the years is something I learned from author Gretchen Rubin. She writes about the fallacy of false choices. In other words thinking that there are only two choices to a dilemma, and your hands are tied.  In doing this we can truly feel stuck, and our attitude of hopelessness can overcome us. 

In realizing that there are usually many more choices than the false choice of two, we can begin to make the changes needed to improve our situation. Don't allow a bad attitude to ruin your day. Look for ways you can make changes, and reap the benefits that a good attitude can bring. 

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude."

Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment