Thursday, October 26, 2017

Change How You Shop


Change how you shop. 

I used to take great pride in my couponing ability. One summer my daughter and I became quite good at it, and scored many a deal. We always came away with a kind of high at our good fortune. 

I found myself stockpiling toothpaste, deoderant and band-aids in my upstairs linen closet. If you needed it, I probably had it. Of course, there was no possible way I could have ever used the hundreds of individual band-aids that I had hoarded. 

Yes, I'd say at that point I probably was hoarding them. I kept telling myself that I had gotten such a great deal, and in fact many of the products taking up valuable shelf space I had actually received for free. 

I spent many an hour pouring over the Internet and paper looking for deals. I was elated if I received double copies of coupon inserts. Now I can honestly say that I never ordered multiple papers or begged neighbors for their coupons, but I would say that I had become border-line obsessive about the whole ordeal. 

I kept convincing myself that I was saving money, but if truth be told I'm not sure I was, because I was constantly shopping. That store famous for its own special cash sucked me in time and time again to return to the store to spend the "free" money that had accrued. More times than not, I'd purchase something I really didn't need, and would spend more of my own money on the difference.  

Over time I came to the realization that if I just stayed out of the stores, and basically purchased the things I really needed and a few things I wanted, I would end up saving a whole lot more money. Now don't get me wrong, I'm never one to turn down a deal, and if I can find something on sale I will, but shopping to "save" money doesn't really make that much sense. 

Especially, when you consider all the extra stuff that begins to accumulate in your home. I have a whole collection of Chaps jewelry that I basically purchased for pennies on the dollar, that sits in a furniture-sized jewelry box I received as a gift in order to accommodate it all. I rarely wear any of it, and now looking back it seems a little wasteful. 

I know for me since I changed my shopping habits I seem more content, and have found, because I shop less I really don't mind spending the money on something I really want, even if it happens to cost a little more. I guess it has more to do with quality than quantity. 

"Don't just declutter, de-own."

Joshua Becker

2 comments:

  1. Living on an island with one grocery store cured me of couponing. At the beginning I thought I needed to go to the mainland to shop. But, after buying lunch and stopping at more than one store, I proved to myself that I was not saving money. You are right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely would have a unique set of challenges living on an island.

      Delete