Monday, October 2, 2017

Change Your Mind


Change your mind. 

Are you comfortable with changing your mind, or do you hold onto your initial response? I suppose if it comes to something as simple as ice cream flavors it might not be that big of a deal.

But, what if it concerns something really important? I remember once meeting someone who did not make a good first impression, or to be perfectly honest a good second or third impression. I was convinced that I really knew that person, and that I did not like her. 

I was quick to voice my opinion to my husband always coming across as superior, and judging her harshly. However, something changed the day I had a real conversation with her, and got to see a completely different side of her for the first time. I found myself changing my mind.

She actually was quite interesting, and had a story that I wanted to know more about. I found myself trying to understand more her initial stand-offishness, and why she might feel the need to come across that way?  More than anything I realized that I had jumped too quickly to a false conclusion, without really taking the time to know her. 

I'm glad I changed my mind, and didn't cling too tightly to my initial preconceived notions. How often in your life have you held onto that first impression, not allowing yourself not only a change of mind, but a change of heart? 

"If you truly want to change your life, you must first be willing to change your mind."

Donald Altman  The Mindfulness Code

2 comments:

  1. True, I often have to change my first impressions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning, but it's not always easy. I can be awfully critical. I'm learning a lesson on this one.

      Delete