Monday, October 9, 2017

Change the Way You Do Something


Change the way you do something. 

Have you ever stopped to consider why you do things the way you do, and if there actually is a better way? Even at sixty-one years of age I still tie my shoes using the bunny ear method. For some reason I never made the cross over to the more sophisticated one loop method which actually results in a better looking bow. I've never been good at tying bows, and I suspect my still rudimentary method is the culprit. 

Often times the way we do something either has to do with what we were taught or observed as children. I heard a story once about a young bride who always cut both ends off a roast before putting it into the pan because her mother always did.  When at her husband's prompting she asked her mother about it, her mother revealed that her pan was never large enough for the whole roast. All these years the daughter had thought that cooking a roast began with cutting off both ends. 

I'm learning, especially with this blog, to be open to new ways. When I first began blogging my experience was somewhat limited, and I inched my way through. Sometimes I would discover new and better techniques quite by accident. Being open to doing things differently has proven to make my blogging experience more enjoyable. 

Of course, if you ask my husband he will probably be the first to agree that I'm usually stubborn and insistent when it comes to doing things my way. I always seem to think that I know what's best, and I'm really not that open to advice, especially when its unsolicited or in my kitchen. 

However, I want to push myself out of the cobwebs of my comfort zones, and be more receptive to change. Trying new ways, and allowing myself enough time to adjust to something new might just be the way to go. 

"Old ways won't open new doors."

Unknown 

No comments:

Post a Comment