Saturday, October 21, 2017

Change Your Brand


Change your brand. 

I find it interesting that many of the products I use today are the very same ones that my mother used. Crest toothpaste, Dobie kitchen scrubbing pads, and Jiff peanut butter to name a few. I wonder why that is?

Over the years I have remained true to the same brands, rarely trying anything new. On occasion I might venture out, but the familiarity of what I already know generally keeps me from doing so. 

Growing up my best friend's mom used to always come home from the grocery store with some new product to try. It was always fun to be there when she did. My mother, on the other hand, was much more predictable about her grocery list. 

I think for me, my reluctance to change has more to do about risking what I might not like for something I already know I do. As I've repeatedly written in the past, I am drawn to the known and routines, except I'm now finding myself more willing to venture out, and try something new. 

A big change for me was actually prompted by my daughter who when in college began to do her own grocery shopping. She seemed to have no trouble purchasing the store brands, and her example encouraged me to give it a try. I soon found that not all, but many of the brands were either just as good, if not better than the brands I had shown loyalty to over the years. 

Trying a new brand of peanut butter is not an earth shaking action, but being open to change just might be. Looking more at change as an adventure, and adopting a win some lose some attitude might even  bring a level of fun back to the grocery store. 

With the recent opening of a Whole Foods around the corner, I now have a plethora of new brands and products to give a try, and I'm looking forward to doing so. How open are you to trying a different brand?

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."

Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment