Sunday, October 22, 2017

Change Your Activity


Change your activity. 

Left to my own devices I could be perfectly content kicked back on my couch surfing the net. Except, that I know couch potato does not usually end well. So I've tried to up my activity level in simple ways. 

Living in an apartment will automatically accomplish this. No longer having a car parked right outside my door requires a long walk down the hall to the parking garage. what used to be a short walk down the driveway to throw out the trash is now a combined trip with picking up the mail. Not being able to let the dog out into the backyard to take care of business is now a walk beside the lake. 

Another way to assure that you are up and about is to set an alarm on your phone to go off every hour, and get up and move for five minutes. Apparently this small action is better than sitting all day. This could also be accomplished at the office, as well if you find yourself sitting at your desk too long.  At my husband's work they even have standing work spaces that allow people to get up out of their office chairs. 

Having a Fitbit is a tangible way of tracking your steps. My husband has been known to take an extra lap around the building after working out if he hasn't reached his 10,000 steps yet. I wish I could say I was so faithful to a specific number each day, but I do like seeing how far I've walked. 

Making small changes like taking the stairs, or parking a little further away can help add more activity to your day. When the weather is inclement having a mall close by can contribute to more regular walking. Having a dog that needs to be walked can do the same. Sometimes it's easier to do something for someone else other than yourself. 

The benefits of staying active seem to range across the board. From maintaining your weight, to managing stress, to possibly warding off chronic illness that may come with aging, being active seems to be a win-win. 

"The greatest wealth is health."
Virgil




1 comment:

  1. I’ve been using a Fitbit and feel surprised by my perception of my activity level. I perceive myself more active than I really am.

    ReplyDelete