Friday, October 26, 2018

The Blanket


The blanket. 

When I first retired one of the things I wanted to learn was how to crochet. My grandmother had tried to teach me years ago, but my lack of patience and fumbling fingers did not make for a good combination. I never learned. 

However, with more time on my hands, and a little more perseverance I decided to give it a try. My daughter had recently gotten engaged, and I had hoped to someday have grandchildren. One of my dreams was to, just like my Grandmother, crotchet a baby blanket for my future grandchild. 

So slowly, and laboriously I began the process of learning how to crochet. Chuck became the recipient of one of the many scarves I crotchet that first winter. He was so gracious to wear it proudly overlooking the many mistakes, and unevenness of the final product. 

When Brittany and Will announced the impending birth of their first child I knew I needed to get started on the blanket. I picked out some ultra soft yarn specifically designed for babies and got to work. I knew I wanted to crotchet a smaller sized blanket that my grandson could use in the car, and could carry around with him. 

To be honest I was really pleased with the end result. It wasn't perfect, but it was definitely made with love. He sleeps with it every night. Now as a you know grandson number two has come along, and my daughter has put in an order for another blanket. 

She found more of the same kind of yarn just in a different color. Now that the weather is starting to get cooler it will be the perfect time to get to crocheting. I've already been warming up with a few practice stitches because I haven't crotcheted since we moved from our old house. 


I'm hoping this little one likes his blanket as much as his brother, and it helps keep him warm this winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment