Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Optimism


Optimism.

"Hopefulness and confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something."

Optimism has always been easy for me. I don't know if it's just part of my DNA or if somewhere along the way I figured out that looking at the world as the glass half full was the better way to go. 

It seems that I naturally try to make the best out of situations. I'm always looking for that silver lining, and my sense of humor helps in this endeavor. 

However, to be honest it's difficult for me sometimes to be around negative thinking people. I think more than anything it just starts to become a habit to always look for something wrong. Confirmation bias works both ways. 

You can feel your energy draining as you listen to their complaining. I can't help but wonder if perhaps they feel the same way about me? Glass half empty people probably get tired of the Pollyanna attitude of their counterparts.

So what are we to do if we find that optimism is not in our nature? I guess the first thing is determining whether there is a value to being optimistic. Could being optimistic make you happier? If so then becoming more aware of your reactions might be the way to start.  

Rephrasing your words more positively might not completely change your life, but it could be a good first step. If you notice your children or grandchildren gravitating toward the negative help guide them toward a more positive view of the world. 

"Optimism is the faith that leads you achievement. Nothing can be fine without hope and confidence."

Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment