Friday, October 26, 2018

Self-control


Self-Control. 

"The ability to control oneself,  in particular one's impulses and emotions, especially in difficult situations."

I think this may be the hardest virtue of all for most people. Especially since each person has their own vice they find hard to control. 

Put me near the appetizer table at a get together, and you can FORGET ABOUT IT!
My personality is more of an abstainer than a moderator.  As long as I don't get started I'm usually okay. For some, though, moderation is the name of the game. 

Of course, self-control is not just about the food we eat. Sometimes biting our tongue, and not lashing out at others takes every bit of self-control that we can muster. However, strengthening this virtue can make a difference in our relationship with others. 

Learning self-control is a muscle that must be exercised starting in childhood. I always felt bad for children who entered school for the first time having never practiced self-control. I couldn't help but place more blame on some well meaning adults who thought they were doing their child  a favor by never insisting they sit still. 

Another aspect of self-control is curbing impulses. How many of us has been guilty of an impulse buy that they later regretted? Buyers remorse is a real thing, and I've got a set of State Fair waterless cookware to prove that. Children are required to practice self-control each time their parents check out at the grocery store. Heck, even I have to turn a blind eye to the candy bars calling my name. 

"Whatever lies within our power to do lies also within our power not to do."


Aristotle 

No comments:

Post a Comment