Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Hospitality


Hospitality.

"The friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors or strangers."

When I think of hospitality, I always think of my mother. She truly was "the hostess with the mostess." She just had a way of making you feel welcome in her home, and her attention to detail always made people feel special. To this day people speak highly of her warm spirit. 

Sometimes we think that offering hospitality means that we have to go over the top in our preparation. Because so much work is required in getting the house ready, and preparing a large meal we might be tempted not to bother. 

I remember once years ago when Chuck's aunt and uncle stopped by to drop off a hand stitched Christmas stocking for Brittany. It was a spur of the moment visit, and I really had little time to prepare. Luckily, because it was the Christmas season I already had some goodies to serve, and we went on to have a wonderful visit without much fuss. 

Hospitality is more about the heart, than the serving pieces. Chuck and I are friends with a couple who live in a beautiful home. They are the epitome of hospitality as they open their home to many groups of people. We have had the pleasure of being included several times, and they are always so warm and gracious. 

Most of my entertaining has revolved around the holidays and has included mostly family.  When considering hospitality as a virtue it makes me realize that this is an area where I have been lacking. Reaching out to others through hospitality is a great way to serve. 

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it."
Hebrews 13:2




No comments:

Post a Comment