Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Audacity


Audacity. 

"The willingness to take bold risks."

I wish I had more audacity. I think fear gets in my way of taking these bold actions.  I'm audacious in front of my mirror, and in the safety of my own home, but I rarely go beyond. 

Perhaps my most audacious moment happened at the age of nineteen when I stood up to my boss as he unfairly treated my coworker and friend. I remember watching him berate her, and I couldn't take it anymore, so I spoke out on her behalf. 

Now this was totally out of character for me because I had always been intimidated by authority figures, and he was my boss after all. The interesting thing, though, was that after the fact he treated completely different. 

I wasn't that gal Friday anymore, but rather a valued employee who he treated with respect. I was always proud of myself that I took a stand. 

Sometimes, though, I think I was braver when I was younger. In some ways I had a greater sense of self, and wasn't so hesitant to speak out. Today I reserve those opinions more to those who are like-minded or who know and love me. 

I admire those with the confidence to take a stand even if it is not popular. Building your beliefs on a firm foundation helps you not to waver when you face tough times. I think today might be a good time to strengthen the muscle of audacity. 

"The first quality that is needed is audacity."
Winston Churchill






No comments:

Post a Comment