Saturday, October 13, 2018

Humility


Humility. 

"A modest or low view of one's importance; humbleness."

I remember the day I was walking the long walk from my classroom to the front office. As was my habit, I'm sure I was walking at a breakneck pace to get done whatever I needed to do, after all I was pretty important. 

I had gained a reputation in the community as a top-notch teacher. I was a team leader, and had presented to both teachers and parents. I always seemed to have something to say about everything, because I "knew" so much. 

I'm not sure what made me stop dead in my tracks, but I remember thinking, "Wait, it's not being important that matters, but rather doing something of importance that is the greater good." In other words take the emphasis off yourself, and put it on others. 

I wish I could say that this came naturally for me. I liked feeling important because I placed so much emphasis on what others thought of me, and compared myself often to others to see if I measured up. 

I remember working really hard to have a whole list of school activities next to my senior picture in my yearbook so I could look important. Ironically, that year the list was moved to the back of the book. I'm sure very few people went back to check, and to be honest I was disappointed.

When I think about being humble I can't help but be reminded of my grandson's favorite movie, Charlotte's Web, where Wilber's bacon is literally saved by the word humble. Giving others credit where credit is due, and not always seeking center stage is showing humility. Maybe we should follows Charlotte's lead by allowing someone else an opportunity to shine, and doing so graciously.

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself it's thinking of yourself less."
Rick Warren 



No comments:

Post a Comment