Monday, October 1, 2018

Virtues


Virtues. 

As a child I remember learning the following quotations attributed to Ben Franklin:
 "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." 
"An apple a day keeps the doctor away."
 "A penny saved is a penny earned." 

To this day I still find myself referring to these, and to be honest I find them to be true in my own life. Interestingly enough, when Ben Franklin was twenty years old he wrote a set of thirteen virtues that he believed would help to shape his character. Included were temperance, silence, order, resolution, frugality, industry, sincerity, justice, moderation, cleanliness, tranquility, chastity, and humility. 

Many years ago when Brittany was in second grade I came across the book, Garden of Virtues by Christina Keffler and Rebecca Donnell. It is a delightful little book full of whimsical illustrations and a list of virtues to be taught to your children. I was immediately enchanted, and although I can't say I faithfully taught all to my daughter I did try to instill in her, "Traits and attitudes that are practiced regularly for the good of others and ourselves..."

As has been my custom in the month of October I participate in the Write 31 Days challenge. Previously I've written about Discovery and Change, and this year I am writing about Virtues. 


I don't plan to get too preachy, but I'm hoping you might glean some insight into something that seems to be lacking today. My hope is that you might come away with a virtue or two to pass down to your children and grandchildren. 

No comments:

Post a Comment