Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Tolerance


Tolerance. 

"The ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with ."

Wow! This is a hard one for me. It is not in my nature to be tolerant. Oh, I might be nice or come off as respectful, but the whole time I'm probably doing a whole lot of judging. 

The other day as I passed an opposing side of the political aisle on the way to early vote, I found myself wanting to say something negative as I passed by.  My right for free speech seemed perfectly appropriate at the time, except I didn't speak out, and I'm glad I didn't. This man had every right to think differently from me. 

As it turned out he did speak to us, but not about his candidate. He pointed out a proposal at the bottom of the ballot about funding our county hospital. We thanked him, and later realized that it could have easily been overlooked if he had not brought it to our attention. 

Being tolerant is not just keeping your mouth shut or speaking in a respectful manner, it actually has more to do with the thoughts that precede the action. Casting an immediate judgement before getting to know someone, failing to search for understanding, and more than anything thinking you have all the answers doesn't lend itself to a very tolerant world. 

Our country is a big enough place for many views, and lifestyles. Infact, our constitution provides this through its Bill of Rights. Always casting the first stone does not make for a peaceful existence. If someone truly wants to know your opinion, share it respectfully not trying to change theirs. If they want to know more than share more, if not keep walking. 

We all feel comfortable preaching to the choir, and there is nothing wrong with like-minded people sharing their views. Birds of a feather have always flocked together, but we shouldn't limit ourselves to only our point of view. If we truly want to reach across the aisle to extend a hand of friendship we must extend tolerance as well. 

"Love your enemies."

Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment