Saturday, October 20, 2018

Perseverance


Perseverance.

"Steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success."

When the hit show Survivor first began years ago the final challenge always was one of perseverance. Which ever contestant could hold on the longest took home the prize. I always kidded Chuck that he was a shoe in if he ever earned a spot on the show. 

To this day I don't think I've ever met a more determined person, and I have admired this quality throughout our marriage. Perseverance is being in the game for the long haul. Even if something is hard or repetitious sticking to the task to completion is what is important. 

I usually try to find things that I am naturally good at so that it doesn't require extreme effort on my part. My inclination to become easily bored doesn't always lend itself to perseverance. Although, the other day I did have to push myself to do so. I was crotcheting a blanket for my youngest grandson, and was not having much luck. 

It has been well over a year since I had crocheted, and I had to relearn the stitches. After my first two attempts it became apparent that after each succeeding row the blanket was becoming smaller and smaller. I ended up ripping it out, and starting over again making sure to count each row. Now it still isn't perfect, but it looks much better. 

Now normally I might just have wanted to throw my hands up in the air, and say, "Forget about it!" However, my love for my grandson, and my desire to make him a blanket like his brother's was what spurred me on. Perseverance is not always the easiest thing, but by completing the task, you can take pride in your desired results. 

As a teacher my students would often complain when a task seemed to require more effort that they were willing to give. This was the perfect opportunity to remind them of the story of The Tortoise and the Hare. Slow and steady wins the race. 

"Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did."


Newt Gingrich

No comments:

Post a Comment