Monday, October 8, 2018

Flexibility


Flexibility.

"Willingness to change or compromise."

Flexibility is something that doesn't come easily to me. 

However, our willingness to be flexible can serve us well in the long run. Being open to new ways of doing things is not necessarily a bad thing. 

For me my reluctance to embrace flexibility happened during the last years of teaching. As you can imagine teachers must be well prepared each day in order to accomplish all the demands that are required. 

I would put many hours into lesson plans, and would try to incorporate activities that I knew my students would enjoy. During the latter years of my career it seemed that we were constantly bombarded with distractions and interruptions. 

Now of course this is a total exaggeration on my part, and most of these interruptions were actually beneficial to the students. However, it felt that way to me, and my need to remain rigid and set in my ways only contributed to my annoyance. 

What I had to learn was to be more flexible, and not over react each time there was a change of plans. By learning to accept these hiccups along the way I was able to enhance my flexibility.

In the long run I learned what was really important, and what was not. Flexibility is a virtue you might consider. You might be surprised at how allowing yourself to be a little more chill can enhance the quality of your life. 

"The boldness of asking deep questions may require unforeseen flexibility if we are to accept the answers."
Brian Greene



No comments:

Post a Comment