Saturday, October 6, 2018

Discernment


Discernment.

"The ability to judge people and things well."

Sometimes we make our decisions too quickly without taking the time to gather enough information. Often we judge a book by its cover, and allow a first impression to be all that is considered. 

Discernment is something I think comes more with age and experience. It's as if we have to live enough life, and make enough mistakes to somehow gain discernment. 

I can't help but remember the time early in my marriage when Chuck convinced me that we needed to trade in my brand new Honda Accord for a fiery, red Fiero. I remember standing in the shower the whole time feeling extremely uncomfortable about the decision. It was as if my stomach knew something that I did not. 

Now remarkably we actually made money on the Accord, but as cool as the Fiero seemed to be I really did miss my little hatchback. It wasn't long after that I was pregnant, and having to maneuver my way into the very low to the ground seat each day. After Brittany was born that sports car had to be replaced by a sensible sedan as it only had room for two. 

To this day Chuck and I have learned to listen to that still, small voice inside when we make decisions. Most of the time it serves us well. 

One way to help children, and adults as well to be discerning is to teach them to ask for counsel from someone they can trust who has had prior experience. Another way to discern whether something is a wise move is to prototype it. 

This can actually be done just by following through with the next logical conclusion, or it can be tried on a much smaller scale. Rather then investing in that expensive RV why not try it out first by renting one to take on vacation?  Actions like these might help to make more informed decisions. 

Model for your children the thinking involved in using discernment when they are faced with a dilemma. I can't help but laugh when I remember Brittany telling me at age six she needed to talk to Dr. Laura. Luckily we were able to figure out her problem together. 

"We need discernment in what we see and what we hear and what we believe."

Charles R. Swindoll

No comments:

Post a Comment