Sunday, October 7, 2018

Earnestness


Earnestness. 

"Serious in intention, purpose or effort."

I had the privledge of working for an amazing principal who encouraged her students and staff to be earnest in all that they did. She would say, "If your teacher asks you to write one sentence then write two." Always go above and beyond in all you do. 

Her work ethic inspired me to take on new, and challenging endeavors, and I felt blessed that my daughter experienced her leadership as well. Our school quickly earned the reputation in the community for excellence. 

It seems today that often times the difference between average and excellent is just a small amount. However, I feel that teaching our children to find the balance between striving to be better, and accepting our shortcomings is crucial. 

There is nothing like the pride that comes from a job well done. I love the way my daughter and son-in-law are teaching our grandsons this valuable lesson. I've written many times about the developing work ethic, and growing independence of the oldest. I'm proud of both him and his parents. 

I like the words of Aristotle when he reminds us that, "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is not an act, but a habit."
Earnestness seems to be a forgotten virtue in a world of instant gratification and quick fixes. Taking the time to go that extra mile can make a difference in the long run. 

"Whatever I have tried to do in life, I have tried with all my heart to do it well;...in great aims and in small I have always thoroughly been in earnest."

Charles Dickens

No comments:

Post a Comment