Friday, January 20, 2017

"Rehearsing Trouble"


"Rehearsing trouble."

Everyone knows what it means to rehearse something. Who can forget that first book report back in elementary school?  You probably found yourself rehearsing it over and over again in your head. Although, rehearsing might seem perfectly appropriate in some situations there is one where it might be more counter productive than anything else;  rehearsing your troubles. Over the years I've become a pro at this. 

Sarah Young the author of the popular devotional Jesus Calling, writes "Rehearsing your troubles results in experiencing them many times, whereas you are meant to go through them only when they actually occur." 

If you are like me and have a tendency to overthink and worry about the details of life, this rehearsing of trouble can only add to your stress and anxiety. My overly active imagination conveniently always goes to the worst case scenario. This especially rings true when I find myself with a long list of things that need to be done. 

I had never really thought about this practice until Young brought it to my attention. It's not something that I want to hold on to. I have found, though, that it can be helpful to remind yourself to stop as soon as you begin to go into rehearsal mode. 

Young also reminds us to place our trust in God allowing him to have the real control over our lives. 



No comments:

Post a Comment