Friday, January 13, 2017

"Spark Joy"



"Spark joy."

When Chuck was in the market for a new pick-up truck and was leaning toward the practicality of white, I asked him if it sparked joy? He looked at me like I was crazy. 

It was then that I shared with him the philosophy of tidier-upper Marie Kondo. She teaches her clients to go through their possessions and asks them if they spark joy? As it turned out he chose a beautiful gray truck that sparked joy, and walked away from the work-like aura of the non-joy sparking white truck. 

Kondo believes that you should, "Keep only those things that bring joy." I have found, though, that often times we have so much that we lose sight of the things that we really love. Remembering back to childhood might help remind you of those special possessions. 

Growing up in the sixties we basically received gifts twice a year; on our birthday and at Christmas. Most of us only had one Barbie, but took great pride in collecting outfits for her to wear. In fact, I still have my beloved Tressy from my youth. Tressy was a Barbie-like doll whose hair would grow if you pushed the button on her stomach, and would become short again by turning the knob on her back. I had lovingly pierced Tressy's ears with beaded straight pins, and had painted her lips a soft shade of pink nail polish. 

My childhood best friend and I played Barbie's for hours on end dressing and redressing our dolls with care. Years later I was blessed to reconnect with her via the internet. Our paths crossed again, and as I was packing to visit her I slipped Tressy into my suitcase. Much to my surprise she had kept her Barbie, and the two doll friends were reunited as well. 

Tressy sure sparked joy in my life. Prior to reading Kondo's first book, the life-changing magic of tidying up, I was first inspired by the words of designer William Morris, "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." Kondo and Morris sound like kindred spirits. 





2 comments:

  1. I've been working on the decluttering for the last few months using that same philosophy. When I read this, I smiled! I still have my Tressy too! It is one thing from my childhood that brings me joy! Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete