Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Missed Opportunities



Missed opportunities. 

I just learned that the iconic Redwood tunnel tree succumbed to the elements. What are the chances that the dream tree of my youth would be gone before I had a chance to drive
through it? 

I remember seeing its picture as a child in National Geographic magazine and assumed that sometime in my lifetime I would make my way up to the Pacific Northwest to see the majestic Redwood Forest. 

Well I'm still here, but unfortunately the tree is not. So the lesson learned is if there is something you really want to do you might not want to put it off indefinitely. Usually, you think about your days being numbered, but just like Celine Dion taking a hiatus from performing in Las Vegas the one time you are there, sometimes you might be ready, but the opportunity might not. 

However, I can't help but be reminded that sometimes we build things up in our minds and find ourselves a little let down when the opportunity strikes. One of my "bucket list" items was visiting Mt. Rushmore. I think I must have first seen a picture of it in that same issue of National Geographic. Upon arrival I must admit I was a little taken aback. Every picture I had ever seen had portrayed it as huge. Which of course it is, except that when you view it from the ground it appears much smaller because it is no longer a close-up view. 

Which makes me realize that as much fun as it is to go on these types of adventures I still think it is important to look for the adventure in the every day. Did you know that some Pet Smarts have Doggie Day Care, and that it is quite delightful to observe a small herd of puppies all running around behind the glass? Now it might not be as cool as driving through a Redwood tree, but it will have to do for today. 

However, as a public service announcement: Consider that the things you want to do may no longer be there when you are ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment