Monday, January 23, 2017

What To Keep?


What to keep?

"The important thing in tidying is not deciding what to discard but rather what you want to keep in your life." Marie Kondo

As I began contemplating decluttering my clothes closet the other day I kept thinking about what clothes I would discard? I don't have an over abundance of clothing to begin with so I kept thinking about what I might need "Just in case." What if I got rid of something and later wished I hadn't? 

However, after reading the words of Marie Kondo I think I've been approaching the task all wrong. She teaches to look at  each article of clothing through the lense of whether it sparks joy?  I have a feeling  that most of my clothes will not pass that test. I'm also afraid that if I hold strictly to her guideline I might risk a rendition of The Emporer's New Clothes. But, this made me question why I have purchased so many clothes in the past that were just ho-hum? Why did I not insist that they all be fabulous? Maybe Kondo is on to something when she insists that the possessions you own, and surely your clothes should spark joy. 

I remember needing a comfortable pair of shoes for work last year,  and settling for a frumpy brown pair that would rival the fashion sense of Amy Farrah Fowler on The Big Bang Theory. They were comfortable all right, but bordered on hideous. Why in the world did I buy them, and believe me they were not cheap. 


So rather than focusing on what I don't want or need I'm going to start asking what I do  WANT to keep?  It's kind of like the glass half full/ half empty philosophy. I'd rather focus on things that spark joy, especially when it comes to what I wear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment