Thursday, January 26, 2017

Curious Minds


Curious minds. 

One of my favorite series growing up was Curious George. It seemed that George's curiosity was always getting him into trouble. Once it even landed him in jail, however, he managed to escape and soon found himself floating away holding onto a bunch of balloons. 

Although, I never quite felt comfortable with the getting into trouble part, I did fully embrace curiosity. Whether it was the summer I collected toads as pets, or when I rushed home from the library with a chemistry book anxious to mix up a spice concoction in a Dixie cup, I was always curious about the world. 

Recently in reading Brian Grazer's and Charles Fishman's book, A Curious Mind: The Secret to a Bigger Life, I came across the idea that, "You're born curious, and no matter how much battering your curiosity has taken, it's standing by, ready to be awakened."

I've found in my rush to adulthood that I left behind some of that pursuit of curiosity, and I regret that. That childlike wonder of our world really is something that should not be abandoned. 

It is through this curiosity that we find ourselves asking a miriad of questions. However, these questions might have been met with annoyance or ridicule in the past. Perhaps this is the battering that Grazer and Fishman refer to? 

However, this innate curiosity really is kind of like the cherry on the top of life. Curiosity can result in pure joy, something that is worth pursuing. In the spirit of Curious George take back your curiosity today!





No comments:

Post a Comment