Friday, January 27, 2017

Memorabilia


Memorabilia. 

I'm drowning in memorabilia. I'm longing for the days when I had so little that it all fit in a miniature sized cedar hope chest waiting to be grabbed in case of a fire. Fast forward about forty years and I'm not sure it all could fit into a full size hope chest.

Sentimentality which once seemed endearing has now become a curse. I keep going back to organizer Peter Walsh's words, "When everything is important, nothing is important." In addition, he also believes that mementos should hold a place of honor, not just be stored in a Rubbermaid tub in the back of a closet. 

I'm curious, though, as to how other people manage their memorabilia? I know that some take pictures of things they want to remember, and that might be a possibility, except that I'm already drowning in photos as well. I think it's just inevitable that given enough time your memorabilia will take on a life of its own. As much as I keep wanting to convince myself to hold on to everything, I'm beginning to think it may be time to let a few things go. 



2 comments:

  1. I like to put some things out on display and rotate them. This sometimes shows me what I actually see and pay attention to. If it is front and center and I don't really look at it, it can go.

    ReplyDelete