Thursday, January 5, 2017

Randomness


Randomness. 

Keri Smith, author of The Wander Society writes, "The wanderer is open to the unknown, to the unexpected, to randomness."

My nature is to be very concrete.  I like order and predictability, but Smith believes that, "When we repeat the same activities day in and day out, we limit our ability to have new experiences. Over time our bodies, senses, and brains start to atrophy. Our world becomes smaller and smaller until we are living in a tiny box."

Unlike me, my husband Chuck has a more spontaneous nature. However, I think over the years I have had a tendency to squelch that impulse. My cautious nature seemed to take over. However, several weeks ago as we left church Chuck turned left and not right. 

This one random act opened up a world of possibilities when it came to our future. We were able to envision ourselves possibly selling our home and embracing a simpler lifestyle. Sometimes you just have to venture out and see where randomness leads you.   



As we contemplate our future and begin to make plans I don't want to squelch the joys of allowing myself to wander, and not always knowing where we are going to land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment