Friday, May 27, 2016

The Planner


The planner. 

I am an excellent planner. I made an entire career based around the lesson plan. I would spend hours of my free-time looking for new ideas for my classroom. 

Now as a teacher, I actually implemented those ideas. Unfortunately, this does not always happen in my personal life. My Pinterest account is a perfect example. Over the years I have managed to collect thousand of pins. However, the reality is that I have only implemented  a minuscule number of these ideas. 

I'm guilty of needing to read one more book, or article before I even consider trying something new. My reluctance to actually starting a project has to do with my aversion to making a mistake. Stephen M. Shapiro in Goal-Free Living states, "The key is to avoid becoming a planning addict where you never move out of the planning stages and into execution." 



These words really hit home when I first read them. Guilty as charged! They say the first step in making change is admitting that there is a problem. I'm ready to leave behind the need to be overly planned.

2 comments:

  1. I am on the opposite end of the planning spectrum. I do all the planning of a project in my head, five minutes before I start. Okay, well maybe the five-minute thing is an exaggeration. But my planning issue is that I worry that something will happen to spoil the plan if I actually plan too far in advance. You know it might jinx it. I know totally irrational. Perhaps somewhere in between your planning strategy and mine is the perfect plan.

    ReplyDelete