Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Aspirations




Aspirations.

What do you aspire to?  Are you too laden down by your goals?  Are you let down when you finally reach them? 

According to Stephen M. Shapiro, author of Goal- Free Living, "Goals represent a clearly defined end point, not the adventure in getting there!" He teaches that there needs to be a balance between your goals and aspirations.  

Aspirations may never be met without the structure of goals, however, "Aspirations help us to find meaning through a sense of purpose. Something larger than ourselves." 

I am very good at accomplishing goals. I have the discipline needed to be successful, and I am comfortable with delayed gratification. However, one important thing I have noticed is that I never really have a true sense of excitement once I meet my goal. In fact, sometimes there is even a sense of disappointment that it is over. 

My solution in the past has been to come up with a new goal to begin working toward. In reading Gretchen Rubin's new book about habits, Better Than Before, I was introduced to the concept of the Finish Line. For some of us having an ending point works counter to what you might think. With my own struggle to maintain a healthy weight it makes me wonder is weight loss simply a goal or is living a healthy lifestyle an aspiration? 



Aspirations are not just meeting societal norms, rather they are, "based on meaning found deep within your soul." I look forward to learning more about goal-free living, and how it might allow more for the enjoyment of the journey and not just the arrival at the destination. 

2 comments:

  1. Your differentiation between goals and aspirations is helpful. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was new to me as well. I think it fits beautifully into this time of our lives.

      Delete