Friday, May 20, 2016

Retirement 2.0



Retirement 2.0

Yesterday was my last day working as a reading and math tutor for the district I retired from seven years ago. First of all how could seven years have flown by so quickly? Back in 2009 after thirty-one years of teaching I knew that I was ready to retire. I had an absolutely amazing class that year, and I decided I wanted to end my career on a Super Bowl high.  I had no regrets. 

What I did find, though, is that after all those years in education I completely identified as being an elementary school teacher, and I wasn't quite ready to give it up. For the last seven years I have either tutored part-time or subbed. 

This year as time went by I realized that I was ready to fully embrace retirement. I am looking forward to moving on as I see myself in a different light. I'm embracing being a grandmother, a writer, a student of life, and more of an adventurer of the endless possibilities available to me.


In the words of designer Eleanor McMillen Brown, "When you change one thing, rethink everything." I'm excited to do so. 

4 comments:

  1. Kudos to you!! I was somewhat confused by your being a retired school teacher but still discussing work. I have it straightened out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time I retired I realized that I hadn't quite gotten teaching out of my system. By the way, I am enjoying our class. I am on lesson three. The part that has made the biggest impact on me so far is the common humanity piece. I grew up thinking that I had to be better than most, and when I fell short I was harder on myself than I would be toward others. What are your thoughts about the class.

      Delete
    2. I would say I am most mesmerized by this quote: "It’s more difficult to manage a difficult emotion by changing our thoughts than by exploring the physical component. Thoughts are very impermanent and we usually can’t hang onto them long enough to transform them, but the body is relatively slow moving. When we locate and anchor our emotions in the body—find where the emotion is located in the body—the difficult emotion starts to change."
      I have found this to be true this week. And, it's a little surprising.

      Delete
  2. I'm very excited for what this new chapter brings to you, Shari! Much love to you! AnnMarie

    ReplyDelete