Monday, January 16, 2023

Talent vs Work and Discipline



“It’s easier to believe in talent than in work and discipline.”
David Usher

Let the Elephants Run-Unlock Your Creativity and Change Everything, written by David Usher, is a book that reminds us that although we may be adults that ability to connect with curiosity and the wonder of our childhood still remains. 

Along the way to growing up we leave behind that natural curiosity that came so easily to us as children. I see this every time I’m around my grandsons, and I try to soak it up. 
Usher sadly points out that, “Many people live their lives oblivious to and alienated from their inherent creative nature.”

As I watch my grandsons gravitate to crayons, markers and paint and take on the task of creating I can’t help but be amazed at the worry free way they attack the task. Myself, on the other hand begins to quickly judge how good or bad I am at what I’m doing. Quickly I discount whatever I know I can’t do well. 

Usher also asks the question, “When was the last time you invested in developing your creativity?” Honestly, I spend very little time trying to improve my skill set. If I’m not naturally talented then I just give up.

I can’t help but be reminded about a woman I’ve followed on You Tube. She aspired to be a YA writer, wrote her first book, self-published it and took on the identity of writer. Over a period of a few years the book became a trilogy, she left her high paying corporate job, and began to craft the life she wanted. 

She made You Tube videos, created on-line content, began teaching her writing techniques, and continued writing books. She even weathered the storm of criticism and rejection from the book community. 

Interestingly as I’ve pursued some of her content I can’t say that she is an amazing author, but her willingness to put in the work, and to continually challenge herself is what has brought her success. This is a case of work and discipline taking the front seat over pure talent. 

Usher teaches that we need both freedom and structure. The freedom to imagine, but the discipline to bring our ideas to life. Often the reality is that, “We are all born with built-in imagination. That is, until the organizational efficiencies of the school system drives it out of us.”

I saw this so clearly when I made the move from 2nd grade to 6th. My second graders were so willing to take on any creative task I set before them. By sixth grade they needed my assistance along the way to assure them they were doing things the correct way. 

In order to restart our creativity Usher recommends putting a childhood photo of yourself in your workspace. This will serve as a reminder that your imagination is still a part of you. I’ve actually done this, and I like thinking about the girl who looks back at me in the photo. 

This past year was more of a drought for me when it came to creativity. As I looked back on the year there were so many positive things when it came to certain areas, but I knew that I needed to tap back into my creative self. I knew it was time to Let the Elephants Run. 

What can you do in your life to recapture the magic of childhood? How could this enhance your life as an adult? 

1 comment:

  1. Jenna has recently taught herself to crochet it keeps her busy when she is catching up on her shows.

    ReplyDelete