Monday, January 9, 2023

Comfort





“Comfort is the enemy to growth.”
Bronson Wilks
Branson Wilks the creator of the podcast Build the Life You Want points out that “ we become comfortable with the circumstances we are familiar with.”

Interestingly I have found in my recent life that as soon as my circumstances change the first thing I do is try to develop some familiarity in order to feel more comfortable. 

When I moved to the Stephenville area I immediately began grocery shopping at the store I was familiar with. Even though there were other choices it seemed more comfortable to just stick with what I already knew. 

While listening to Wilk’s podcast I learned about a book written by Michael Easter called The Comfort Crisis. My first thought was how could comfort be a problem? Although, I’ve not had an opportunity to read his book yet, it has given me something to think about. 

Easter purposely put himself in uncomfortable circumstances, and found value in allowing some discomfort in his life. 

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m no fan of discomfort. If something is too hard I’m quick to quit. In fact, if I think something is going to be difficult I won’t even consider it. 

I like for everything to run smoothly, and I don’t handle bumps in the road very well. My first inclination when I begin to feel discomfort is to figuratively run away.

However, like Wilks reminds us, “Very little growth actually takes place when we are living within our comfort zone.”

How comfortable are you with discomfort, and how do you handle it?

1 comment:

  1. I against discomfort 😂but I know it makes us grow. It is like finding beauty in the desert!

    ReplyDelete