Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Best Made Plans

 



“You don't always control what happens, but you control how you respond.”

This morning I woke up to rain. Now after the drought of last spring I can’t complain about rain, however, I had already made plans for the morning, and I really didn’t look forward to getting out in the rain. Initially I thought cancelling my trip to the gym was the thing to do. I could always go on Thursday and Friday.

I had planned to stop by the grocery store in town to pick up the needed ingredients for my Bible Study Fellowship tonight. Instead I inventoried my pantry trying to figure out what else I could bring. 

I had even wanted to stop by the library to check on a book, I had seen through the window when I had dropped my book off the day before. 

Now to be honest I was a little bummed that my plans had been interrupted by the weather. Remember it’s not just a matter of me getting in the car which is under a carport. I have to get out of my car to unlock, open, close and lock the gate. All of which requires a raincoat and boots to accomplish without getting soaked. 

As I ate breakfast I reluctantly tried to figure out how I would spend the day, not really happy about the changes. I like things to work out the way I plan them, except in life that is not often the case. I don’t have control over the weather, but I do have control over how I respond. 

After breakfast the rain had subsided some. I decided to make a run for it. I arrived at the gym to light rain, and was happy to be there. I met a woman who was relatively new to the area as well, and enjoyed getting to visit with her. I stopped by the store to pick up the things I needed to make tortilla roll ups. I even stopped by the library to check about a book I’d seen through the window the day before.

Yes by the time I returned home the rain had increased. My shoes were wet, but other than that I was no worse for wear. My day had turned out the way I had hoped only a little more damp than I had planned.

How do you respond to things you can’t control?

No comments:

Post a Comment