Monday, January 30, 2023

Focus on Your Strengths




A study by Gallup based on the work of psychologist, Martin Seligman found the following:

“…employees feel more confident, self-aware, and productive when focusing on strengths rather than weaknesses.”

The  first time I heard about focusing on your strengths vs trying to improve your weaknesses was at a staff development meeting about twenty years ago. It gave me a whole new perspective. 

Prior to hearing that I had focused mainly on trying to improve those things I wasn’t naturally good at, and feeling bad that I wasn’t doing a very good job at it.

Now I’m not saying there isn’t room for improvement, because often times it doesn’t hurt to get better at something. Just ask my husband about how my cooking ability has improved over the years.  

However, putting too much emphasis on your weaknesses is counterproductive to what could be accomplished by focusing on your strengths. Time is a limited resource so use it wisely. 

What do you focus your time and energy on? I truly believe God has gifted us all with natural strengths and abilities. I also believe that sometimes we overlook these gifts because they have always come so easily. We don’t see them as special. 

Don’t discount your natural abilities. Look for ways you can share your strengths with others, and stop focusing on the wrong thing. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow Shari, it’s like we are on same wavelength! I read strengths finders some 20 years ago in the last week I lead my team through their Gallup Clifton strengths results!

    ReplyDelete