Monday, April 16, 2018

Throwing Her Weight Around


Throwing her weight around. 

I returned home the other day from visiting my daughter to a big surprise. We have only been in the house for about two weeks, and I'm in the process of getting everything in place, including our security system. For the last year when we lived in the apartment I didn't have to worry about inadvertently setting the alarm off. So to say the least, I'm a little rusty when it comes to the alarm. 

As I unlocked the door in the garage, and began to enter the house I realized that the door was jammed. I couldn't open it more than about six inches. Meanwhile, since I had activated the alarm countdown I was trying to figure out how to reach the panel before it went off. 

Unable to reach the alarm panel I found myself running around to the front door to let myself in.  All the while the sixty second countdown was ticking away like a bomb. You know the whole red wire, blue wire conundrum. 

I wish I could say I made it there in time, but I did not. I must have arrived at exactly sixty-one seconds, and was met by the screech of the alarm. I quickly deactivated it, and looked down to see our daughter's old baby gate lying on the floor. 

I've been keeping Abby in the really large laundry room while I'm gone,  along with a comfy bed, plenty of food and water, and her litter box. In order to keep her from having free reign of the new house I was using the old baby gate to keep her in a smaller area. Apparently, that morning when Chuck left for work the gate mustn't have been firmly affixed. She had somehow managed to knock it over. 

Now I know she had not tried to jump over it as her size alone would have made that prohibitive. I think she just put her weight into it, and it crashed over. She found herself a jailbird having flown the coop that day. 

Along with our alarm system we also have one of those Ring doorbells. You can imagine my embarrassment as I captured my frantic self on video desperately trying to unlock the front door. After the fact I considered that I did have the option to disarm the alarm on my phone, but I think my feet are faster than my thumbs when it comes to the phone. 


Either way it made for a pretty good story, and video!

3 comments:

  1. Loved it! My cat knocked out the window panel next to the window a.c. in order to make himself a kitty door (my dog hates going outside except in perfect weather). The third time I fixed it and he did it again, I decided he really wanted to be an outdoor kitty. Our new place has central air and heat. But Moggy sneaks out when I put Bandit outside to potty every morning. Usually by the tome i come home from work (if the weather is iffy) or the last time i put Bandit out at night, Moggy returns. He likes outside. But he also like canned cat food. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it! My cat knocked out the window panel next to the window a.c. in order to make himself a kitty door (my dog hates going outside except in perfect weather). The third time I fixed it and he did it again, I decided he really wanted to be an outdoor kitty. Our new place has central air and heat. But Moggy sneaks out when I put Bandit outside to potty every morning. Usually by the tome i come home from work (if the weather is iffy) or the last time i put Bandit out at night, Moggy returns. He likes outside. But he also like canned cat food. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love it! They definitely have their own ideas, and seem to get their way!🙀

    ReplyDelete