Thursday, April 12, 2018

Letting Go of the Dream


Letting go of the dream. 

We all have dreams. It is especially apparent during this American Idol season where the heartbreak of dashed dreams is put on public display. For the rest of us the demise of our dreams might be a little less publicized, but it still can lead to disappointment when they are gone. 

When Brittany was little one of my dreams was to get her one of those green, Little Tykes turtle sandboxes. Except, at the time I really couldn't justify the $29.00 price. It seems weird today, because $29.00 doesn't really sound like a lot, but apparently its price was prohibitive almost thirty  years ago. 

I remember buying a Rubbermaid tub, and filling it with sand to use as her sandbox. It actually worked just fine, and could be sheltered from the elements, and any possible stray cat because it had a lid. Brittany didn't know the difference, and enjoyed playing in the make-shift sandbox. 

However, I always said when I had a grandchild I was going to get him or her a turtle sandbox. Although, its price hadn't changed much in thirty years, my discretionary funds had. I was all excited about buying one when my daughter's family moved to a new house in the country. 

The house came with a large covered back porch, and the biggest sandbox I'd ever seen. Right where the porch ended, but still under the roofline was the perfect sandbox for a two year old boy. It was then that I had to let go of my turtle dream. 

The reality was that there was no need for a tiny turtle sandbox when just out their backyard was an Olympic sized one. Oh well, I guess the more important thing is the hours of fun my two grandsons will have digging to China with room to spare. 


To be honest, turtle sandbox or not, I do feel that I'm living the dream when I get to spend time with them. 

2 comments:

  1. This was a sweet post. Having some dreams about what you will do with your grandchild is so common in my life. I still get taken back when my idea is not the best idea. Gosh darn!

    ReplyDelete