Friday, April 20, 2018

Pinterest Page


Pinterest page. 


I was pinning something the other morning when it hit me that your Pinterest page really is a snapshot of who you are. All your interests are neatly categorized, and are easily accessible to both you, and your followers. 

What I've started doing lately is requesting that my boards be kept secret. I'm not sure if you know it or not, but when you set up a new board the notification comes across to all who follow you. 

This is how I discovered that a former neighbor of mine was pregnant before it became Face Book official. Trips people are considering, new hobbies, and interests all become public knowledge. With all the controversy over Face Book data mining, Pinterest is basically an open book. 

I kind of look at our Pinterest page as a modern day archeological dig. What books you read, or recipes you tried are all recorded for the annals of time. How you decorated your house, what crafts or projects you tried are all there for the world to see. Any passing fancy such as Zero Waste or Danish Hygge are all a window into who you are. 

I kind of feel the same way about the grocery store. I wonder if the cashier likes to speculate about the customer based on their purchases? Junk food junkie, health food nut, or even crazy cat lady might all cross his or her mind.

Technically the grocery store, the library, and Amazon all have a record of what you have bought or read. I'm not sure if that is a bad thing as long as it's never used against you in a court of law. So for now I'll probably just keep secretly pinning away. 



No comments:

Post a Comment