Monday, April 2, 2018

Off the Beaten Path


Off the beaten path. 

This weekend I traveled to visit a friend from high school who lives over an hour away. Since moving to the new house I wasn't exactly sure which would be the best way to go so I turned to Google Maps for directions. 

Sure enough it sent me down 35W instead of my usual 35E route. Except, it also took me off through the most amazing country roads to finish my journey. I was greeted with rolling hills, fields full of yellow flowers, and even some Longhorns grazing peacefully in a pasture. 

I couldn't help but think about how often I stick to the expediency of the highways, but how much better it was getting off the beaten path. The beauty of spring was all around, and what had begun as a long drive became a real joy. 

Chuck and I have found this to be true also about the alternate route we take to our daughter and son-in-law's house.  Although, it is a few minutes longer, as soon as we turn onto Hwy 16 we are taken aback by the beauty, and diversity of the landscape. There are no stoplights, or passing lanes, but it sure makes for a relaxing drive, and we'll take it every time we can. 

In the constant barrage of traffic and concrete surrounding us, it's good for the soul to venture off the beaten path now and then, and soak in the beauty of the countryside. 



No comments:

Post a Comment