Thursday, April 26, 2018

Hygge


Hygge. 

Hygge, pronounced 'hoo-ga' is a Danish word which does not appear to have an American vocabulary equivalent. It actually is more of a feeling than a word, but since the Danish people rank highest on the happiness scale it might be worth inquiring about. 

I found a book entitled, Hygge Comfort and Food For the Soul at the library, and began reading more about this strange sounding word. 

"There are many words and terms which can be used to describe Hygge-cosiness, comfort, contentment, bliss, happiness, warmth, friendship, family, gratitude, appreciation of simplicity and the here and now."

 It appears that, "The pursuit of hygge is a way of life for Danes." The actual definition of pursuit is, "an effort to secure or attain; a quest." I've written before about the allure of quests, and found myself intrigued by this simple way of life. 

The philosophy behind hygee is that, "life needs moments of pleasure-the more the better." These moments allow people to live more mindfully, and result in a happier, less stressed life. After observing my two-year old grandson this past weekend I think he must live in a state of hygge. I think I'd like to follow his lead when even waking up is a moment of wonder as he takes on the day. 


 As I read through the book I found examples like eating cake as a way to include hygge in your daily life. Eating cake without guilt seems to go against the grain of today's world. Except, making room for a little cake in our lives might not actually be such a bad thing. I think I might see a bundtlet or two in my future. 

No wonder my walks by the lake were always so restorative as they embodied hygge to the tee. Candles, soft lights, music, warm sweaters and comfort foods are all things that bring a sense of well-being to our days, and express the idea of hygge. 

Perhaps Brene Brown says it best when she recounts, "Joy comes to us in ordinary moments. We risk missing out when we get too busy chasing down the extraordinary."







2 comments:

  1. My daughter, who is living with us right now, bring sHygge into my home with her knitting, candles, and soft music.

    ReplyDelete