Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Ear-resistible


Ear-resistible.

I was sitting at the Toyota dealership yesterday waiting for my car to be serviced. Suddenly I heard the familiar pop, pop, pop of a popcorn machine. Add to that the irresistible smell, and there was no turning back. 

I can honestly say that popcorn is one of my favorite foods. I probably eat popcorn almost every day. At home I pop it in a brown paper bag in the microwave without oil. I spritz it with olive oil, sprinkle it with salt, and add a faux Parmesan made of slivered almonds, nutritional yeast, and salt. 

If truth be known my love affair with popcorn probably began at the Sears Roebuck store of my youth where the wafting scent of freshly popped corn would find me making a beeline to the center of the store money in hand. 

The movies also were never complete without the buttery goodness of movie theater popcorn. I'm assuming its cost must have been more budget friendly during my childhood because I don't think I ever watched a movie sans popcorn growing up. 

Of course, the highlight of home popping back in the sixties was always Jiffy Pop. The song played over and over in our heads, "Jiffy Pop, Jiffy Pop the magic treat, as much fun to make as it is to eat." I don't remember it being a regular occurance at our house, but the few times it did made a lasting impression on me. 

Over the years I've owned a variety of popcorn poppers including electric, air popper, and even a microwave variety. I've considered purchasing a glass microwave popper lately, but I don't think I really need another appliance. 



I was contemplating making a return trip to the machine, as the attendant had assured me I could have all I wanted, but unfortunately my name was called before I could retrieve a second bag. I guess we have another rendezvous in about five thousand miles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment