Friday, April 13, 2018

Honorary Texan


Honorary Texan. 

I was not born in Texas. I actually was an Army brat who spent the first eleven years of my life moving from place to place. After my father retired from the military we moved to Texas. At the time I literally expected to see everyone on horseback riding through the streets.

Since then Texas has been my home, and I have proudly claimed it as so.  Except, in my heart of hearts, I knew that because I wasn't a native born Texan, maybe I really shouldn't. However, after having lived here for fifty years I decided it might be time to claim full citizenship. I shared this desire with Chuck, and had even considered having a little celebration in honor of my fifty year anniversary. 

Chuck had other ideas. Without my knowledge he wrote a letter to Greg Abbott, the governor of Texas, requesting honorary Texan status for me. He received the official proclamation in the mail, and made arrangements to have it framed. He had hoped to present it to me at the next family function. 

However, I think fate stepped in. As it would turn out we were invited to a political event that was being attended by Dan Patrick, the Lt. Governor of Texas. The hosts of the event were friends of Chuck and I, and Chuck contacted them asking if they thought Dan Patrick might consider presenting the award to me. 

You can imagine my surprise when my name was called out by the Lt. Governor, and I found myself before a crowd of guests. I literally had no idea why I was there. As the official proclamation was read by Dan Patrick, I began to beam with pride. It was probably one of the coolest moments of my life. 

Of course, when I learned that Chuck was behind the whole thing it made it even more awesome. He sure is a special husband, and Texan to boot! 



7 comments: