Tuesday, July 3, 2018

The Clarity of Action


The clarity of action. 

Bruce Hardy, a millennial, is featured in the book Roadtrip Nation.  As he attempts to find his way his advice gave this baby boomer pause. "Action makes the blur of uncertainty clear."
As one who has the tendency to live in my head more than I should, taking action is never something I just do naturally. Most of the time I've already talked myself out of doing something before the idea is even fully developed. 

I can always come up with a million reasons why I shouldn't take action, but like Hardy shares sometimes the action is the catalyst to clarity.  Just by doing something you can calibrate whether you should continue down that course or change direction. Doing nothing might just result in nothing. There are very few things I've DONE that I fully regret, it's usually the things I have failed to do that have brought regret. 

Lack of action might insulate you from embarrassment or humiliation, but living life protected by bubble wrap isn't really living. Actions don't always need to be grandiose, and those baby steps can help build up your confidence in knowing you are doing the right thing. 

There will always be uncertainty, but like I've written before that is not necessarily a bad thing. Life seems to be clearer when we are on the path that seems to work best for us. 

"Most of us live our lives by accident-we live as it happens. Fulfillment comes when we live our lives on purpose."
Simon Sinek

Together is Better: A Little Book of Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment