Thursday, July 5, 2018

Mint to Be


Mint to be. 

In late May when we were visiting my daughter and son-in-law we had some mint from their garden in our tea. The combination of mint and lemon made for a very refreshing drink. 

I commented on how I wish I had some, and my son-in-law proceeded to pull up a section of their mint plant to send home with me. I was excited to bring it home, but knew that with my limited gardening ability there was probably less than a fifty-fifty chance it would live to see the next week. 

Well I'm happy to report that my mint plant has not only survived the last month, but is actually thriving. Each morning as I step out my backdoor, I can't help but smile when I see how well it is doing. It must be getting the perfect combination of water, sun, and shade as it sits under my covered porch. 

My other venture into the world of herbs this year was rosemary and basil. Rosemary seems to be holding her own, but the basil fell prey to some Italian herb loving bug. I'm thinking if I get more basil it needs to remain inside. 



My only worry now is the incredible heat. Even with frequent watering the soil seems to be parched. These Texas summers can play havoc on anything green. 

No comments:

Post a Comment