Friday, July 13, 2018

Curiosity as a Design Element


Curiosity as a design element. 

I remember my sophomore year of college taking a design class. I absolutely loved it, and found myself pretty good at it. I enjoyed it so much that I considered changing my major to interior design. 

Until one day in class when we viewed a movie (it was the seventies) about interior design as a career, and I realized that being able to draw was a requirement. My drawing skills had not improved much since my early elementary days, so I ruled out changing my major that day, and continued down the path of elementary education. 

I wish I hadn't been so quick to rule out interior design as a career possibility. At the time I didn't realize that drawing was a skill that could be taught, and improved upon with practice. I wish I had taken the time to explore that career more. I maybe even could have visited a local furniture store, and spoken with their designer. 

One of the traits of thinking like a designer is to start with a beginner's mind. Ruling things out too quickly can result in missing out. Asking the right questions, being curious, and actually taking action can help determine if you are on the right path. 

Being curious is the starting point in thinking like a designer. Following your curiosities can lead to learning new things, trying out new ideas, and even ruling out possibilities.


I can't say that my career in elementary education was the wrong one for me, but I sometimes wonder if I shut the door too quickly?

No comments:

Post a Comment