Thursday, July 19, 2018

Brainstorming


Brainstorming. 

Brainstorming was a technique I used often in my classroom. It is a way to generate an abundance of ideas quickly. While brainstorming, the rule is to not pass judgement at the time. Even wild ideas are allowed. 

As I was reading Designing Your Life, by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans, I couldn't help, but remember a brainstorming episode that took place during a faculty meeting many years ago.  Our principal was eliciting ideas for ways we could improve learning at our school. Although, I can't remember the ideas of the other teachers, I do remember both my idea, and hers. 

At the time I remember thinking that my principle's idea was too unrealistic, and mine extremely practical. At the time I took great pleasure in thinking that I had the better idea. Today I'm thinking differently. 

My idea had been done before, and my principal's was almost crazy, except it wasn't. What she was doing was pushing us out of our comfort zones, out of the familiar and known. If you keep doing things the same way chances are you are going to end up with the same results. 

Her training in gifted education gave her the edge when it came to brainstorming. I just wasn't far enough in my teaching career to know any different. As I think about it today, I wish we had followed through on her idea. I think it would have led to a more engaged group of students which is half the battle when it comes to learning. 


When faced with a problem, don't rule out an idea that might sound a little "crazy" at first. It might actually be a catalyst to the solution you are seeking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment