Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Lessons Learned


Lessons learned. 

I was reading a posting yesterday written by another blogger whom I befriended when we both took on the 31 Day Writing Challenge a few years ago. I appreciate her wisdom and her insight, as well as her writing ability as she has just completed her first novel, and is beginning a second. 

She wrote about the theory of change as a cycle. It made perfect sense as I viewed a visual of the cycle, and couldn't help but be drawn into the stages of maintenance and relapse. This so perfectly described my journey with weight loss. It has been over a year since I lost twenty pounds, and have maintained that loss, however, I'm now finding myself falling back into the predictable relapse phase. 

What I found heartening, though, was the idea that because this pattern is a cycle, and not linear, I can continue right back into the next stage of pre-contemplation ( to be honest I think I have already bypassed this, and am in contemplation), and begin my way toward action before I gain back all the weight I worked so hard to lose. 

The beauty of this approach is that you don't have to waste your time berating yourself for failure. If a relapse is not uncommon in the change of habits then quickly accept where you are along the continuum, and move on to the next stage. Instead of wondering why you have the tendency to return back to old habits, take some comfort in knowing that you are not alone. 

If you are interested in learning more I'm including the following link:


No comments:

Post a Comment