Friday, July 6, 2018

Be a Tourist in Your Own Hometown


A tourist in your own hometown. 

Chuck and I visited the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in Ft. Worth yesterday. This is one of two places in the United States that prints the paper money we use. 

If you haven't had a chance to visit, this really is worth your time to check it out. Your older children and grandchildren would  enjoy learning more about where their money comes from, and best of all this field trip is free. Just be reminded that you do need to leave your cell phones in the car. 

The facility includes an exhibit about the history of money, a short informational film, and a tour of how the money is produced. They even have specific age appropriate scavenger hunts to help keep the kids engaged. Before leaving we stopped by the gift shop to pick up a thimble for my collection. 

I was thinking about how many places are right in our own backyard that are often overlooked. After taking the tour I had a whole new appreciation for currency. It seems that I was just taking money for granted never really understanding all the work involved in the printing process. 

If given the chance I'd like to tour the US Mint in either Denver or Philadelphia to learn more about how our coins are made. I wish I had toured the facility prior to retiring because I always liked to bring firsthand knowledge to my classroom. 


A couple of summers ago Chuck and I made a point to visit the Bush Library and the Perot Museum. Last summer we checked out the Boy Scout Museum in Irving before it moved out of state.  Be a tourist in your own hometown, and make plans to visit a tourist spot in your own community this summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment