Thursday, February 1, 2018

Lake


Lake.

I'm really going to miss the lake that borders our apartment complex. It was the reason we ended up in these apartments. As soon as I saw it I knew instantly that I could live here. It was as if an invisible hand was guiding us. 

I have so enjoyed taking Cooper out for a walk as often as the weather has permitted. Last spring I loved watching the baby Mallards grow to the size of their mothers. In the summer I learned that the males lost their impressive green feathers, and sported the same brown color as the females. This winter the lake has been home to many other feathered friends along with the Mallards. Loons, Coots, Buffleheads, Cranes and even Sea Gulls have all made their appearance, and have brought me many hours of enjoyment in observing them. 

Recently with the return of warmer weather, and even longer days, Cooper and I have been trying to squeeze in as much lake time as possible. Along with the benefits of walking, just having the opportunity to be out in nature enjoying the fresh air has kept my spirits up during the grayer days of winter. 

I keep telling myself I will need to return, as our new home is not too far away. Except, I think I know that having to get in the car, and travel down the highway twenty minutes won't be as easy as just stepping out the door. 

I feel very grateful for this last year, and the opportunities that have come along. The stillness of the water has refreshed my soul, and reminded me to make time for the beauty of creation. Our time here this last year has given us a chance to live a simpler life, and to be excited again about the possibilities that lie ahead.  






No comments:

Post a Comment