Monday, February 12, 2018

Communicate


Communicate.

One of the ways I've dealt with problems in my life is through avoidance. Rather than risk a confrontation, I've basically just turned my back on the people involved.  

Of course, I'm generally not happy with that solution, because I end up feeling embarrassed, and regret that I didn't have the nerve to face a situation more directly. By that time, though, so much time has passed I'm even more uncomfortable to do anything about it. 

Recently, I found myself in an uncomfortable situation, and was struggling as to what you do next. My go-to solution was to just avoid the situation and the people involved. I wasn't exactly sure what to say so I had decided not to say anything. 

Except, luckily this time I had a change of heart. I actually reached out to share my misgivings. It felt good to talk things out, and as Dr. Laura likes to point out, people just need to communicate. 

Although, this conversation did not fix everything, it did lead to understanding on both sides, which allowed me to feel more comfortable with the situation. I was proud of myself for picking up the phone, and sharing my concerns. 


I do hold regrets from those times that I did not do so. We really shouldn't be so afraid to communicate with each other. Risking confrontation may be worth the discomfort it brings, if there is resolution in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment