Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Insanity


Insanity. 

There is a common known saying that defines insanity as, "doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results."

I have been guilty of this when it comes to my glasses. For Christmas Chuck bought me a beautiful new purse. It is a much larger than purses I've owned in the past, and has very little structure to it. However, the good thing is that it has plenty of room for everything, including some of Chuck's stuff as well. 

In my last smaller purse I kept my reading glasses in a simple, black eyeglass holder. It was generally easy to retrieve so I didn't give it a second thought when I threw it in my new purse. 

Day after day, week after week I found myself desperately scrounging around trying to locate my glasses. The purse itself being cavernous was somewhat dark inside, and without the aid of my glasses I struggled to locate the black eyeglass holder. 

I found myself becoming more and more frustrated, but never once considered changing anything. I guess insanity had set in, and I somehow assumed that things would get better. 

At the same time I also carried around a brightly colored, quilted Vera Bradley eyeglass holder that kept both my sunglasses and a pair of older readers. As I would fish around inside my purse that particular item was not only easy to see, but easy to feel as it was a completely different texture from anything else. 

I'm not sure what finally brought me back to my senses, but the other day it hit me like a ton of bricks. Why not switch out the holders? I rarely used my sunglasses, but used my newer readers hourly. So that's just what I did.

Remarkably, life had gotten so much easier. If I need my glasses I can locate them in an instant. It's embarrassing to think it has taken this long to figure out a better option. I think for me being a creature of habit gets in the way sometimes. 



So if you are struggling with a situation you might consider looking at it from a different perspective, perhaps a more sane way at that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment