Thursday, February 22, 2018

Earning Screen Time


Earning screen time. 

Parents are generally warned about too much screen time for their young children. Moreover, parents of teens have safety concerns about the actual content made available to their adolescents. Some parents limit their children's screen time. Even better, some require their children to earn screen time through reading, doing chores, and helping others. 

I wish I had a parent to limit my screen time. I know, I'm the adult, and I should be able to simply say, "Step away from the screen." Except it's never really that easy is it? Just like a bagful of Cheetos, or a big piece of chocolate cake will power doesn't always work. 

I find that being retired allows you quite a bit of time to spend on-line, which when left to its own devices can quickly become unaccounted for. This winter, probably because of the colder weather, I've found myself on my i pad WAY too much. Ten minutes become twenty, and twenty become an hour, and I've basically done little else than check my Face Book. 

Now there are some real legitimate reasons to be on-line. I'm finding myself checking my e-mail more frequently as we make our way through the loan process on our new house. Of course, I write and post on my blog using this little device daily.  At dinner time I am generally referring to a recipe on my i pad, and if I'm needing more information about something Google is my go-to. 


 I'm thinking I'm going to have to set up some type of protocol that allows me to earn screen time so I don't spend too much time on this thing. Already, I can tell my ability to concentrate over any length of time is pretty much gone, and yet it's siren song is so alluring. The struggle is real!

No comments:

Post a Comment